Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

This Is Not The Final Fantasy We Were Looking For.

Picture Kinda Related?

We've been duped. Had, tricked, bamboozled, the wool has been pulled over our eyes, and any other witty saying that is used in place of "screwed over". The tricksters over at Square Enix have mastered their art...the art of selling us games no one is sure we really need. How could we have let it come to this? Well, where do I begin?

Ask me what my favorite game is, and my first response will probably be "Oh I don't know, it's too hard to choose". Heckle me some more, and I might just tell you one of the following; Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 4, or Final Fantasy VII. Final Fantasy VII being the key game of the list, at least in regards to this article. I've poured my heart and soul into that game, and not to mention the hours. Blood, sweat, and tears create the memories I'm sure I won't forget, and for awhile, that's all I needed. That was, until May 16th, 2006, a day that will live in infamy. Square Enix previewed a technical demo for the yet-to-be-released PlayStation 3, and boy, did they release the flood gates on this one. Everyone wanted this to be real, and I'll be the first to admit my news wobbled at the idea. Six years of waiting and hoping have finally paid off, right?

Well, yes and no.

We are getting a re-release, that's for sure. As PC exclusive, oddly enough, this game will feature modern gaming staples we've come to know. Just don't expect the graphical prowess we witnessed in that demo. Instead, Square thought it'd be awesome to add nothing of real importance. We are getting 36 achievements,  Cloud saves (I'm not even going to joke about that), and something I find completely worthless; Character Booster. In it's simplest form, it's a relative of Staple's Easy Button. The description might as well say "Do you suck at our game? OK, here is a button that increases your HP, MP, and Gil to their maximum. "Lazy Button" more like it.

I think the reason this whole situation irks me is because, about a week before this news came out, I started playing FFVII over, completing everything I could. I fell in love with the game all over again. It doesn't need achievements, and especially not a "Win Button". It's very upsetting to me, just because it doesn't need to be modernized; it seeems like a cash grab, or even more so, a statement to the fans that says "Here you go, now shut up", and that's not something we deserve.

Leave your comments, concerns, and suggestions for future topics in the comment section, and as always, thanks for reading, stay tuned, and stay sweet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment